With the holiday season upon us and the changing of the temperatures, the need for a warm, comforting bowl of soup is high on the list. There is no better way to warm your bones, all while getting a good dose of nutrients from a hearty meal. With the weather changing and the temperatures dropping, the need to protect your ears becomes more important, and we aren’t just talking about the need to bundle up your ears! The food that you consume and your daily diet play a huge role in the functioning of your ears, and can even go a long way in keeping them healthy. Taking advantage of the seasonal produce is one way to go, and there’s no better way to enjoy the tastes of the season than curling up with a bowl of butternut squash soup. Butternut squash is an excellent source of folate, which is needed in your diet to help prevent hearing loss.
Eating to your hearing health never tasted so delicious! To help warm your bones this winter, all while getting the nutrients you need to maintain hearing health, try out this delicious butternut squash soup recipe. We promise, you won’t regret it!
Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
• 1 medium-sized butternut squash (2-3 pounds)
• 6 cups chicken stock
• ½ cup coconut milk
• 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
• 2 cloves of minced garlic
• 1 tsp chopped sage (fresh)
• 1 tsp chopped thyme (fresh)
• 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
• Pinch of ground nutmeg and cinnamon
• Himalayan pink salt, to taste
• Ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut the butternut squash in half, and remove the seeds.
3. Drizzle the cut edges with coconut oil, and season with salt and pepper.
4. Place butternut squash cut side down onto a baking sheet. Roast until very soft.
5. Remove from oven, and let cool until it is cool enough to handle.
6. Scoop out the flesh and place into a bowl. Discard the skin.
7. In a large pot over medium heat, add the chicken stock, butternut squash flesh, coconut oil, garlic, herbs, and ginger. Bring to boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
8. Remove from heat and stir in the coconut milk. Let mixture cool for about 5 minutes.
9. Add the soup to a high-speed blender and puree until it is smooth. If you need to, work in batches and transfer the pureed soup into a clean bowl.
10. Ladle the soup into bowls, and garnish with salt, pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Adjust to taste and serve immediately.